Monday, October 5, 2015

Freddie Glenn Story: His Side

Freddie Glenn at 12




Imagine you were 18 years old and your older friends asked you for a favor.

Keep in mind that these are friends that you’ve always done things for with no problems.

Would you refuse them?

Would peer pressure kick in?

What if the favor became something other than what you were told?

What would you do if you thought your life depended on it?

What if you ended up paying for it with your life anyway?

What you are about to read is a story of a man named Freddie Glenn (a.k.a. Siyana Masamba) who’s made some poor decisions that have cost him 40 years of his life -- and he is still paying for those decisions today.

Our story dates back to 1975. It's a story of blind justice and blatant negligence on a justice system's part.

This story involves four men. Two of which are killers......and three of them have been released from prison.

One was even granted full immunity!

While the only one that didn't partake in the gruesome murder that took place still sits by behind bars -- and has been sitting there since 1975.



 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was Freddie Glenn accused of?



In 1975, Freddie Glenn was accused of the rape and murder of Karen Grammer. (http://parade.com/50114/parade/murder-of-karen-grammer/) According to the story of this particular source, Glenn was accused of beating, raping, and stabbing Karen Grammer. Karen is the younger sister of famous actor Kelsey Grammer. 

 

It also claims that reports made public in 1975 revealed that Freddie Glenn, along with several other men, had attempted to rob a Red Lobster in Colorado Springs. Their robbery attempt failed miserably as the group was unable to obtain any money from the caper. Karen Grammer seemed to pose a threat to the group because she could identify them. 

 



This source also reports that after allegedly robbing a convenient store, this group of men took Karen Grammer to Glenn’s apartment where she gang-raped repeatedly. The men assured her they would take her home after she desperately pleaded for her life. 

 

This source reports that Glenn also testified that he’d taken LSD before he stabbed her in the throat, her back, and her hand. The authorities were unable to identify her for a week until she was reported missing by her older brother, Kelsey Grammer. 

 

 ______________________________________________________________________

 

Freddie Glenn was only 18 years old when he was tried and convicted of murder in 1975. He accompanied a couple of friends on what was only supposed to be a couple or few robberies. Glenn has not denied accompanying the other men.

Glenn only believes that he is doing way more time than he deserved. He's been in jail for 40 years -- and didn't kill anyone. His only crime was being there in the first place. The odd thing about the whole case was that Glenn was never offered a chance to appeal.

 While even one of the other two convicted killers, Michael Corbett, admitted Glenn's innocence in a letter that was addressed to Glenn's longtime friend and confidant, Belinda. Glenn, who now goes by "Siyani" is mentioned in this letter as not having anything to do with any of the murders.

Inserted is a copy of the letter from Corbett to Belinda.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The letter to Belinda from Michael Corbett 


(I have reprinted this letter verbatim without paragraph breaks. It was copied just as it is typed on the uploaded document with typos and errors italicized because I didn't want to edit Corbett's testimony. The letter reads as follows.) 



"Dear Belinda: 

    I pray that this letter, find you doing well as to be expected. I was very happy to receive your letter. I am very sorry about your health situation. I guess as we get older the problems, start to occur, which is something that have on control over. All we can do is deal with it the best we can. I am holding down pretty well with my health. Everything is stable. I have to deal with getting on the Dialysis machine three days out of the week, for four hours each time. That is why I am pushing so hard to get out of this situation that I am in, so that I can get a Kidney transplant. Because I can't get one while I'm incarcerated. 

   Ok, baby sister. You wanted to know the real deal, about my brother Siyani. It's like this. For one, Siyani never killed anybody. They lied on him, because Bob Russell, and Lou Smit, was mad at him for not turning on me! Larry Dunn, was the one that really killed Grammer. They gave Siyani that murder case. As for Profit, I did that and I even went and testified at Siyani's trial with a life sentence in that one. I admitted to mine, at my first Parole hearing in 1996. All Siyani should have gotten of is Accessory to first degree murder, which only carry's 10 years. 

  When we were on the streets, Siyani was the mellow one. I was the wild one, but as you know those that were close to me, I showed much love to. I was really into the the party set, getting high and the works that goes with the life style. My life style really wasn't Siyani's, he was just really there. they lied on him saying he danced around our kitchen table with the bloody knife, saying he wanted to feel what it was like to stab someone, for one I was the one who killed Profit, its on record who killed profit I did it. 

   They gave Larry Dunn, full immunity on three fist degree murder charges. to turn on me and Siyani, and since we weren't talking to them. They gave Larry Dunn's, murder case to Siyani, because he wouldn't turn on me. They killed to birds with one lie. They implicated me in the Grammer case, and I wasn't even there. But they made the media think that I was involved in that case. Bob Russell, finally admitted at my 2010, that I wasn't involved in that case. But that damage has already been done. So they are poisoning us through the media with lies. Ok, Baby Sister, its time for me to close this. Write me and ask me anything. I'm open. Please take care of yourself, and stay in touch. 


Big Brother/With Love"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




  Freddie Glenn Reaches Out To Kelsey Grammer 


A Letter From Freddie Glenn to Kelsey Grammer

 (This letter was written March 23, 2015.)


Glenn's letter reads as follows:


" Hello, Mr. Grammer, 

    At my parole board hearing, you asked me why I never tried to contact you myself. And if I had, maybe you could have helped me. Prison policy doesn’t allow inmates to contact family members or victims. However, as I said at my hearing, I still tried to contact you myself as did my fiancee, Belinda Gardner and my sister, Gwendolyn Glenn. 

I have had numerous opportunities to grant interviews to newspapers, tv stations locally and nationally, etc. I was never interested in contacting or speaking with these people out of respect for you and your sister. I’ve always wanted you to be able to hear me first so I could tell you what really happened. I didn’t want you to have to read or hear about it through the media. So that’s why I stood silent. 

Out of pure desperation, I thought about granting some woman an interview shortly before my parole board hearing. But I was advised not to do so. My sister, Gwendolyn, hired Mr. Buck Taylor, director of The National Clemency Project, to represent me at my parole board hearing. For 40 years, no one has helped me. It’s been me against the world. I’ve been through hell! Everyone has taken a turn attacking me, lying on me, making me out to be a cold-blooded, horrific killer when the truth is — I never killed anyone. 

Enclosed is a letter from Michael Corbett,( my co-defendant in the Van Lone and Proffitt murder cases) in which he admits to. Everything he said is the truth. In case you didn’t know, I legally changed my name to "Siyani Masamba.” Kelsey Grammar, I apologized to you for the loss of your sister during my hearing and I meant every word of it from my heart. 

Enclosed is a copy of that apology. I am so sorry that you have had to live with that pain and hatred for me. If I never harmed her, why did I admit to killing her at the parole board hearing? Buck Taylor, who was hired to help me, advised me to admit to it. He explained why I should and the consequences of it if I didn’t. So I trusted him and I believed him and it made sense to me. Enclosed are the two letters from Mr. Taylor advising me as to what I should say and why. And I said yes and while I am so ashamed to admit to it -- I did it. 

The newspapers, magazines, television, books, Bob Russell (D.A.), Lou Smit (Detective), and no one has ever mentioned that I was offered a consideration or a chance to save myself. Or a chance for a plea agreement if I cooperated in the Grammar murder and testified against Michael Corbett in the murders of Mr. Van Lone and Mr. Proffitt. 

I was too scared to tell or snitch on anyone. Instead, I chose to accept responsibility for my involvement in those crimes which was only me driving my car in what was supposed to be only robberies. Had I cooperated and saved myself and told them Larry Dunn killed your sister and testified against Michael Corbett, I would not be in prison today. Larry Dunn took the life of your sister and was actively involved in the other two murders. He lied on me and was reward full immunity on 3 murder charges. 

Dunn admitted to raping your sister and falsely accused me of having done the same. I was never charged or convicted of rape or any kind of sexually violent crime. Yet I am classified and punished within the Dept. of Corrections as a political ploy to ensure that I will never be paroled. Dunn died about 5 or 6 years ago in New Orleans in prison. 

Corbett is living in the Dept. of Corrections’ Main Infirmary where he is dying of kidney failure. Soon I will be the only one left alive to pay for their murders. Mr. Grammar, or Kelsey, I could tell you so much more and so could my everything (Belinda), who had been at my side through all of this. Everything I have written has been the truth. And also everything that Belinda shares with you will be the truth. 

I need someone to help me. Belinda and I need someone to help us. And my three remaining sisters need someone to help us as well. You said maybe you could have helped me and I believed you. Please help me and I promise you’ll not have any regrets. You deserve to know the truth and truth deserves to be known. (TOLD) I am willing to do whatever you need me to do. So are Belinda and my sisters. Thank you for reading this. 


Much respect and most sincerely, 
Freddie Glenn"




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Exclusive Interview with Freddie Glenn

I have the first exclusive interview(s) with Freddie Glenn. Up until now, he hasn’t trusted anybody to tell his side of the story to. You’ll get HIS side of the story.

You will also see why I believe there was gross negligence in this entire case. Glenn was misrepresented in his trial. There is a letter that is enclosed on this site proving that claim.

There was even a lab test that showed Glenn’s DNA was not present. (Unfortunately, it is unavailable at the moment. Stay tuned though, I plan to have it.)




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



KP Exclusive Interview with Freddie Glenn a.k.a. Siyani Masamba




KP:
Hello Siyani. How are you doing today?

Freddie: Hello, Kenneth. Today is a good day and I was looking forward to talking with you this morning.

KP: Great. I was looking for to talking to you as well. I have some questions for you. On the day in question, what were you doing?

Freddie:
I had my own apartment. I was 18 years old. I had a used car to get me back and forth to work. I was doing pretty good making a life for myself. Never ran the streets. I was just a quiet young man. Didn’t like partying or anything like that. Way back then was when I met Belinda. She was like my li’l girlfriend. So I’d spend a lot of time over at her house.

KP:
So are you originally from Colorado?

Freddie: No. My home is St. Petersburg, Fl. My father was in the military. My family was up in Fort Louis, Washington. My father was abusive so I had to be a protector for the rest of my family. I couldn’t keep physically challenging my own father. My mom sent me to her sister to look out for me. So, I ended up moving to Ft. Carson. My aunt worked in food services in Ft. Carson so I immediately found a job with her help. She helped me just enough to get on my feet and then shortly after that, I was my own.




 KP: The night in question concerning Karen Grammer’s murder, what were you doing at the time your friends approached you?


Freddie: Larry Dunn and Eric McCloud came by my apartment. Larry had an idea of getting some money. I would actually be their transportation. Eric was only coming along for the ride. We all knew each other and hung around in the same areas. They didn’t have their own cars. They were privates in the Army at Ft. Carson and struggling financially. So I would help them out since I was the only one in the whole group that owned a car. So I would be the designated “taxi” driver. The night in question, we drove around, just the three of us. Larry Dunn was the oldest and more like the ringleader. We were riding around while Larry was casing places to rob. Eventually, we came to a Red Lobster. He ordered me to stop the car and park a small distance away from the restaurant. I did what I was told. Larry and Eric exited the car to rob the restaurant. I was waiting 15 or 20 minutes (maybe less) in the car. The next thing that happens, Larry and Eric return to the car with Karen Grammar and ordered me to drive off quickly.

KP:
Dumb question time. At this point, were you still behind the driver’s wheel?

Freddie: Yes. Never left behind the driver’s wheel or left the seat. It was MY car! I didn’t want anybody else driving MY car. Bad decision….but I drove my car.

KP:
So, you’re telling me that you NEVER touched Karen Grammer?

Freddie: No. I never touched that lady. Never harmed that lady. Never harmed anyone through the whole crime spree. All I did was drive my car. I’m guilty of driving my car in a horrible crime spree. Nobody was ever supposed to get hurt. I had no way of knowing that anyone was going to get murdered. Through the whole crime spree, I never received a penny from Larry or Eric. I was doing okay for myself to be 18. I HAD A JOB!! I had my OWN MONEY!!


KP: Did Larry or Eric make any threats towards you?

Freddie: No, they didn’t. It was a scary situation because there were guns involved. Eric didn’t have a gun and he was never involved in any of the killings either. Eric wasn’t much older than me.


KP:
What were you thinking when they first approached you? Why didn’t you tell them to get lost?

Freddie: It crossed my mind. I would give them rides all the time being nice, though. I was a nice young guy. I didn’t want any problems with anybody. These were older guys and I just gave in to the peer pressure. Then I found myself trapped wondering how am I going to get out of this. I was only 18 years old in Colorado. I was by myself then. I guess you could say I was pretty scared.


KP: Why didn’t you walk away? Once you saw Karen Grammer, why didn’t you walk away or tell them to get out of the car?
Freddie: I could see them running back to the car with this woman. I didn’t have time to think! They  jumped in the car with Karen Grammer and Larry said, “DRIVE!!” He told me to drive and I…..drove.


KP: Ok. So I guess that really doesn’t leave you much time to debate.

Freddie: No, I didn’t. This is the only time during the whole crime spree that anyone was abducted and put in my car. The other two murder cases happened away from the car. However, I was sitting in my car.

KP: Did all these crimes happen on the same night?

Freddie: No. They happened over a 2-or 3-month period. I was convicted in the Proffitt and Van Lone murders as well as Karen Grammer's. I got a death sentence for Karen Grammer which was later reduced to a life sentence. I believe they used the Grammer case against me for political purposes. It was 1975. We were black men and she was a young white woman only 18.


KP: So I guess the hard question that I have (and many others would) is why did you continue to associate with these guys over a 2- or 3-month period when they were obviously up to no good?

Freddie: I felt trapped up in it. I was scared. Once you get caught up in a murder, you become a liability. Somebody gets killed and you don’t want any part of it. I was caught up in a murder. I tried to get away from it. I didn’t want to die though. At this point, I had seen too much. I didn’t want to be looked upon as a threat to them. I didn’t want them looking at me as a loose end. Even after I moved, I lived in fear. I cut all ties with Michael Corbett, Larry Dunn, and Eric McCleod. Remember, I told you that Eric just got caught up like I did. Eric didn’t hurt anyone. He thought that he’d taken a plea deal for accessory after the fact when in reality, 10 years later he found out it was for rape. And while I was never actually charged or convicted for rape, the Dept. of Corrections has labeled me as an S4 which is a non-convicted sex offender.

KP: Even though you were never charged or convicted of rape…

Freddie: Even though I was never charged or convicted of rape, it was determined that a rape occurred and I was accused of participating in it by Larry Dunn. He said that all three of us had raped her. Unfortunately, Eric took a plea deal for rape.

KP: What did you do after that?

Freddie: I’ve always denied raping Karen Grammer. I never touched her. I was falsely accused by Larry Dunn. That right there, is the reason I’ve been labeled an S4 offender. I hired an attorney and have been unable to fight this because all my legal paperwork has been destroyed.


KP: Did your family hire him?

Freddie: Yes, my family hired, Norman R. Mueller, (considered to be one of the top 5 lawyers in the state of Colorado) in December 2010. That was nearly six years ago. He’s been unable to help me get this S4 classification off of me because he doesn’t have the court transcripts. He’s a good lawyer, but he doesn’t have anything that he NEEDS to help me. He told me that about a year ago. Everything pertaining to the Grammer case, the transcripts, the paperwork, is ALL gone. This is a death penalty case. Seems like they would keep all of that.


KP: Once you got away from Larry Dunn and the rest of the crew, how long was it before you heard from any one of them or anything from the judicial system in Colorado?

Freddie: I moved to get away from those guys and it was a few months later that we were all arrested. Mind you, I had cut all ties with these guys. I just wanted to get my life back in order. I even kept my job. That is, at least until I was arrested. I wrote a letter to the parole board and explained all of that to them. That was at my 2009 Parole Board hearing.
KP: Do you know where Eric McCleod is now?

Freddie: Yes. Belinda and I have been in touch with Eric since April of this year. My family has also been in touch with him too. Eric is willing to come forward. He has been wanting someone to come and talk to him. He’s been wanting to tell them that he was there and he saw the whole thing.

KP: So you believe that Eric McCleod can make a lot of sense of this whole thing. More importantly, Eric McCleod is willing to tell the truth?

Freddie: Yes. Eric’s been out of prison for 29 years. He just wants to set the record straight. He wants to tell the truth. He wants to help me. That’s it.

KP: Dumb question time. If you could’ve done anything different, what would you have done?
Freddie: If I could’ve done anything different, I would’ve picked better friends. I mean I would’ve sought advice from somebody. Especially in this situation. When I found myself in trouble. It’s easy now to say what I should have or would have done. I would’ve done everything I could’ve done and should’ve done. The main thing is, I would’ve gotten away from those people at the first sign of trouble.

KP: But you were very young then.

Freddie: Yeah, I was only 18. I went to Job Corps at the age of 16 and got my GED. In 1975, that would’ve been my senior year in high school, had I not gone to Job Corps and gotten my GED.


KP: So do you think, if you hadn’t gone to Job Corps, that a lot of this wouldn’t have even happened?

Freddie: Job Corps had nothing to do with it. I was from an abusive background. My father was very abusive. I went to Job Corps to get away from the abuse. He was a military guy and an alcoholic. He would jump on my momma. I would try to defend her and he would jump on me. Once I got out of Job Corps, the situation at home was still pretty much the same. That’s why I came to Colorado with my aunt.

KP: I had a question about Michael Corbett.  Where did y’all meet?

Freddie: In the Arbada House Apts. where I stayed. That was my first apartment in Colorado Springs. That’s where I lived most of the time I was in Colorado Springs. In fact, that’s where we all met except for Eric. Eric was a soldier in Ft. Carson and used to court with my auntie. I met Eric through my aunt. Michael Corbett is trying to let everyone know that I didn’t have anything to do with the murders. He never had anything to do with the Grammer case, but he knows Dunn did it. He also confronted Dunn at one time, “Why did you do that?” You know — he was a killer and he thought about killing him. I don’t know why he would be pissed off at anybody about killing someone when he was a killer himself. I can only guess that Michael was mad at Larry Dunn for killing and raping Karen Grammer. He actually told me he started to kill Larry for all the mess he had gotten him into. He said something like, “I wouldn’t be in this mess if it weren’t for him. I should’ve just killed him.” Michael is in bad shape right now and doesn’t have very long to live. He’s just trying to make things right before it’s all said and done.


KP: What was Larry Dunn like and how did y’all meet?

Freddie: He was an older guy. I think he was about to be kicked out of the army. He was always looking for money. He used to visit the Arbada Apts. where I stayed. That’s where he and Michael Corbett used to hang out. Larry later became friends with my older sister that was living in Colorado Springs already. That’s really how Larry and I became friends. While my sister would be at my apartment, Larry would come to see her. When I say friends though, I don’t mean that we were extremely close. I would just give him rides like I would for anybody else we knew living at the complex. It was mainly about him knowing my sister. My sister died 15 years ago. She died with the guilt of ever introducing me to Larry Dunn. Larry walked away from three murder cases by lying on me and testifying against Michael. I was too scared to snitch on anybody. I just tried to accept responsibility for my involvement.


KP:
 What about the lab results? Did they find any DNA to support their claim of murder on your part?

Freddie: They found nothing conclusive. Nothing that indicates that I had anything to do with the rape or murder of Karen Grammer. I was convicted solely on Larry Dunn’s testimony!


KP: Why do you think you were never offered an appeal? Did anyone ever come and ask YOU what happened?

Freddie: Once the Colorado Death Penalty statute was ruled unconstitutional, my attorney quit and starting practicing some other field of law.


KP: I saw another letter from an attorney trying to contact you in 1982.

Freddie: My attorney even admitted that he was unqualified to defend me. He defended me on three murder cases and he was a malpractice/injury lawyer. The first and second murder trial were only thirty days apart. I have paperwork on that.

KP: 
What might Eric McCleod add to this story?

Freddie: He would support what I’ve been saying all along. He’s been out of prison for 29 years. He has no reason whatsoever than to tell nothing but the truth.

KP: If you could talk to Kelsey Grammer today — face to face — what would you tell him?

Freddie: I would have said to him the same things that I said in that letter. What I put in that letter is what I tried to say to him the day he confronted me. I couldn’t say anything to him in person. I would’ve told him that I did NOT harm nor take the life of his sister, Karen. I expressed my remorse to him in the letter. I feel bad for what happened to the young lady.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Letter From Freddie Glenn's Attorney


(Here is a copy of the letter from Freddie Glenn’s attorney, Jeffrey I. Tompkins. Even Tompkins knew he wasn’t qualified to represent Glenn in any of his cases. In this letter he is admitting to dealing mostly with personal injury and malpractice cases. This letter was written January 25, 1982. More than thirty years ago. It reads as follows:)


Actual Letter


“Dear Freddie:

This is to acknowledge receipt of your recent letter. Enclosed herewith is a copy of the People of the State of Colorado v. Montgomery which deals with consecutive life sentences.

I have handled very few criminal cases. Presently, my practice deals mainly with personal injury and malpractice. I suggest that you get in contact with the public defender to have an appropriate Motion filed in your particular case. If you desire me to request the Public Defender, Greg Walt, that you have someone call upon you, let me know. Good luck. As soon as the pictures are finished, I will contact you.


Very truly yours,


Jeffrey I. Tompkins"











This is the story of Freddie Glenn a.k.a. Siyani Masamba. Just kicking back and minding his own business one day. Believed he was doing a favor for some friends and now sitting in jail for the rest of his life.

Paying for a crime his older friends committed. I pray justice finds Freddie Glenn a.k.a. Siyana. I had the privilege of speaking with him over the phone a few times. He is a soft-spoken man. He's been through a lot. His records were lost in the system and there's a strong possibility that those records could have easily freed him.

While my heart truly goes out Kelsey Grammer and the entire Grammer family, justice needs to prevail. If someone can help Mr. Glenn, it would be greatly appreciated. Please leave comments below.




No comments:

Post a Comment